Thursday, August 18, 2011

Kindergarten

It happened! My little baby girl started school! Brooke had her first day of kindergarten yesterday, and of course, she loved it! She kept telling me it was even better than she had dreamed.
This has been a really weird time for me.  Of course I'm so excited for her to have this new experience and make new friends and try new things, but I'm also really scared.  This is my little girl, what if people aren't nice to her, what if they don't get her sense of humor, what if she forgets to button her jeans and they fall down, what if she gets lost, there seem to be a lot of bad things that I think can happen if I'm not right there with her.  It's hard for me to let go and realize this is an opportunity for both of us to grow. 
One funny story, a few weeks ago Brooke was getting her backpack ready for school and she came downstairs to talk to me.  "Mom, in all the books I've been reading about kids going to kindergarten, the kids are all scared.  I'm not scared at all, but I thought because the kids in the books are that I would put a picture our family in my backpack, just in case I do get nervous."




Last weekend Reid took Brooke out for  ice cream so he could have a little one on one time to talk to her about school, and just to hang out with her.  She was so excited, she just loves that dad of hers!

3 comments:

Katie said...

wow Nick starts on the 29! It is a really weird time- I totally get it. I also feel like it came really fast. I sure did try to enjoy my time with him home. It came so fast. I must say between this and my turning 30 birthday I may gain a few pounds. :) She looked so cute I love first day of school outfits.

Birches said...

Love that backpack!

nbarnes2 said...

that story about the picture made me cry. that is so sweet.