Monday, December 5, 2011

Our Christmas Tree

I was dreading putting our Christmas tree up this year.  I kept thinking about how little and ugly it is and how we really NEED a new Christmas tree, and how it was going to look so silly in our living room with our higher ceilings.  But somebody went a little over budget on Christmas shopping this year and we're trying to save up for a few things so the line was drawn at getting a beautiful, new 9 foot, pre-lit Christmas tree.  So we put up our little 5 1/2  foot, little Christmas tree.  And you know what?  I love it! Looking at that tree reminds me of when we bought it.  It was our first Christmas after we were married, it was early to mid November and it had snowed.  So Reid and I were out sledding one Friday night, when we started talking about how excited we were for Christmas and we decided to go get a Christmas tree right then.  So we went down to Big Lots and bought a 6 foot (there is one branch at the top that sticks up about a foot so even though it is only 5 feet, it counts as 6) Christmas tree for $25 which was basically a small fortune to us at the time.  We took it  home with the lights that we had bought and set it up and later we painted wooden ornaments to hang on it.  Looking at that Christmas tree brings back so many memories of how excited we were to spend Christmas together and how beautiful I thought that sad, little Christmas tree was.  It helps me to remember that it isn't all about how gorgeous and big and fancy your Christmas decorations are (not that there is anything wrong with a 9 ft. Christmas tree) but the memories that you create that bring your family closer together.

3 comments:

5 Little Moberlys said...

I felt the same way about our tree this year when we were putting it up! Thanks for the post Bonnie!

Katie said...

sweet post Bonnie! I love to hear your thoughts it helps me to appreciate things more.

emily@boxwoodclippings.com said...

Beautiful tree Bonnie, hope you guys had a great Christmas!