Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Summer Reading

As most of you know I am kind of a book worm so I just wanted to talk about a few of the best books that I've read in the last couple months.


Twilight Series
I had heard people talk about these "vampire" books for months and was so not interested. I thought it was so weird that so many people were reading these books and in my slightly snotty way would tell people I don't really read books like that, thinking they were your stereotypical trashy, fantasy vampire books. Anyways, when I was in UT visiting my family I read all three books in three days. I loved them! The characters while maybe a little one sided were so compelling and I became so emotionally invested in the story. I cannot wait for the fourth book in August, it really is lucky she is such a phenominally fast writer I don't know if I could wait much longer. I also read The Host recently and thoroughly enjoyed it, Stephenie Meyer is such a great writer!

Atonement

I stayed up until 2 o'clock this morning reading this book. I got a little bogged down in some parts by the overly descriptiveness, but I really enjoyed the story. It really just made me think about how quickly and easily things can change. At the beginning of the book, two of the main characters are looking forward to their bright futures and the life before them when a mistake is made that destroys their world. I really was moved by that feeling of regret, of wanting to change something you've done but not being able to.

A Mighty Heart
I remember watching the Daniel Pearl tragedy on the news and I just loved this book for the hope that she was able to maintain throughout and even after such a horrendous tragedy.

Mr. Darcy's Diary
This one is just for fun. As I kind of have a Pride and Prejudice obsession, I really enjoyed this book, it was a super easy read and it was fun. I always love to see how a story changes when told from a different perspective.

Persuasion

Somehow through all these years and my love of Jane Austen I had missed out on Persuasion. I loved it! While reading it I swore it was my favorite Austen ever. I loved the characters and I loved that the characters feelings were a little more open and descriptive than they are in some of her books.

Anyways, what books are you guys reading now? What are some of your favorite books of all time? I'm always looking for new things to read so I'd love any suggestions. Also if you read any of the above books and hate them I would appreciate it if you would just forget that I recommended them!

7 comments:

Brandon and Natalie said...

I forgot to add that I felt the same way you did about Twilight and was dragging my feet to read it. Like you, I ended up loving it.

Brandon and Natalie said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I am always in the mood for a good book!

lindaq said...

So our book swap was a huge success. Is that where my Host book went?

Marti brought me a few of the Margaret Frazier books and I am loving them. They are very well written historical novels about politics and life in England about 50 years after the time of Katherine and involving some of her descendants. They are all paperbacks and the ones I have are the later ones so if you want I can bring them to Powell.

I am not at all happy with the latest Patricia Cornwall books and she is now off my list. Janet Evanovich, on the other hand, is still on top. She has another Stephanie Plum due out this month. I'll be at B&N on the 17th!!

1491 is one Nathan got me interested in -- very good and very different account of early civilizations in North America before the pilgrims.

lindaq

Whitney said...

I enjoyed that post. I too need books to read this summer. I'm currently reading "Mayflower" by Philbrick (about, well, obviously, the mayflower etc. Not to far into it yet...) One of my favorite books is "The Power of One" I totally reccomend it! It is so great- only it does have quite a bit of swearing. As I read my copy I edited it with a black marker. ha.

Tiffany said...

I don't know Bonnie...this may have convinced me to read Twilight! :)

Hales Family said...

Hey Bonnie,
I love your book suggestions. Keep them up. I always look on your list for a good book. My only problem is then I don't get anything else done because I just read every chance I get. Brooke is so cute. I love her in bed with all of her stuff! Adorable!!

Elise and Lane said...

Thanks for the recommendations! I've only ready the twilight series books - but the others sound like they could be good reads!